Spying Eye Candy

I never tire of museums and shopping and just keeping in check visually. Looking at clothing, accessories, decor and fashionistas on the street has a similar affect on me as perusing a museum. Whether it's at an Olive & Bettes (which rarely happens) to an H&M (which happens too often,) and spying the fashionistas in between, I am inspired to create Jolene Jewelry or some fab outfit from the remnants of an old Salvation Army jaunt.

I am just as charged by the art of The Met and MoMA as well as local galleries, random happenings on the street and student-shows. I figure, as long as I'm getting eaten alive by New York City, I may as well go down looking at some of the world's most phenomenal works of art and soaking up the loveliness of the streets!

Here's a little of what has caught my attention on the streets, at the shops (online included), from the fashion shows, and in the museums lately:

FIT Students used mannequins to conceive, design, and execute fashion presentations for the class Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design. Displayed in the lobby of FIT; The School of Fine Art on 7th Ave-Fashion Avenue in Chelsea now thru April 21.


Marina Abramovic': The Artist is Present
MoMA exhibit, Now thru May 31. Sound pieces, video works, solo performances and collaborative pieces made with Abramovic's former Partner Ulay make up this phenomenal installation at MoMA's top floor. Explores the worlds of energy, life, and art. Marina is even there for a solo performance.... she sits at the table and anyone from the crowd can join her for as long as they want...I am planning on doing it myself before the work ends on May 31.


New Mad Men dress: $10 find; Buffalo Exchange
The gorgeous dress definitely makes me feel like a lady of the Mad Men era, certainly due to the details—see button closures on the shoulders, inside buttons for hiding bra straps, and the narrowness of the bodice. Women were tinier then and I know I always have a vintage steal when my ribs have to crush together to zip the dress. Also features the Ladies Garment Union workers label.


Dino and cocktail purse; Bergdorf's window/Fifth Avenue
I love mixing ideas and aesthetics and nothing is more sweetly funny and aesthetically pleasing to my eye than seeing a semi-scary looking dinosaur carrying a diamond-encrusted cocktail purse and hitting on a lady clad in crystals.


Every time I see a Chuck Close painting I am in awe and stunned by the detail and beauty. Recently I saw his works at the Met and again felt inspired and awed.. how is this man doing this!? And no less from a wheelchair!? Photo from Stiw Kit.


Mod Cloth; Floral Essence Heel by Irregular Choice
These shoes make me die. Need I say more?

The GORG Coco Rocha in the to-die-for gown by Marc Jacobs for fall 2010 Louis Vuitton and the even more breathtaking and iconic model Elle McPherson also dons Marc at the top of this post.